Wednesday 17 December 2008

Marrakech, Morocco


Earlier in 2008, my family and I went to Marrakech in Morocco for my husband's birthday and I thought I'd share the architecture and interiors with you.

Here are some snaps of the local architecture as we travelled around:







The mosque in particular was stunning and bellowed the daily chant, through loundspeakers, twice a day.

As we travelled about, I found it interesting to see so much of the local red brick around as I'd previously expected houses and buildings to be painted on the outside, like this window that we saw at the Yves Saint Laurent garden - a beautiful place if you like Cacti.








Here are some snaps of the local interiors. This was our Riad, Farawakay, that we'd booked for our stay and it was a fantastic spot in the heart of Marrakech with a cook, guide and manager on hand to cater for our every need:









On the roof terrace, the owners had created a tent that was fantastic for keeping the sun off the children whilst I lazed about in the afternoon trying to join my freckles together for an 'english tan' !






Finally, I'd like to show you the metalwork and pottery that was locally made in the souks (Moroccan markets) so, if you do take a trip there - great destination for a long weekend - remember to bring an extra large suitcase.




Even now the children talk about nearly being run over by a donkey in the cobbled streets, the wonderfully interesting food, the glorious sunshine in March and our game of tag around the plunge pool to try to keep warm in the icy water.
A truly wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment