Thursday 23 April 2009

Toastmasters - Pigs On The Move

This speech focused on body language. Body Language is an important part of speaking because it enhances your message and gives you more credibility.

It should be smooth, natural and convey the same message that the listeners hear.

For this speech I decided to take direction from a previous recommendation and chose a topic out of my comfort zone.

***
PIGS ON THE MOVE

Today I ask you – are pigs territorial? Do they like their own space or are they more social creatures and like the comfort of other pigs?

It’s at this point that you may think I’ve gone absolutely crazy, Mad as a March hare or off my rocker. You may think this is one of my random thoughts, but no!

Let me give you some background.

As I was driving along with my children, the music was blaring and we were bopping up and down like rabbits in and out of bunny holes.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but in the summertime your movements are more fluid as you look around from side to side. Totally unlike the winter when I’m fixed on getting from A to B as the rain chucks it down like a bucket of slop.

On this particularly pleasant day, as I looked to my left I was greeted with a carpet of luscious green grass. It was the type of grass that I loved to roll down as a child when my dress would wind its way higher and higher up my legs until I exposed the big jobby knickers that Aunty Tessy bought us every Christmas. Maybe that’s too much of a visual?

Punctuating the grass were small pink mounds that reminded me of teenage acne. Oozing out of them were long slivers of sausages. Long slender pigs with silky babydoll pink skin, beautiful white downy hairs, flippy floppy ears, a sweet button nose and all finished off with a curly wurly tail.

It was then that I had this thought…

If Mr Pig starts his day off at the bottom of the field and, as it’s such a glorious day, he skips along to see his mate at the top of the field…when it becomes dusk, will he bunk up with his mate or return to his own pod?

Let’s make this interesting and take a vote.

(Vote = 4 think he will share a space with his fellow pig and the majority think he will wander back to his own pod).

Finding the answer to this conundrum has been so interesting and frequently hilarious as I’ve come across many a weird and wonderful website.

As I talk to you today there are actually studies being undertaken to calculate the amount of sleep required by a pig to bring you that succulent rasher for your breakfast tomorrow!

Did you know there are also discussion boards about how best to keep a pig as a pet – indoors! As a replacement to a dog!!

But what about Mr Pig and his dilemma?

If Mr Pig went to see his best friend at the top of the field then he might be inclined to stop the night because they are social creatures. However, just like us humans, pigs do prefer to sleep in their own bed at night.

So, everyone was right!

***



During the speech I had a bit of a mental block towards the end and felt as if I waffled talking about pigs being kept as a pet. I wasn’t happy with the way that it went and didn’t feel confident with my delivery.

I am conscious of personal matters in my life at the moment so maybe this unsettled me for the evening. My train of thought was not clear and I hadn’t practiced as much as I could have.

Here is the main evaluation:

Interesting, confident, imaginative speech.

I felt, however, as if the expressions were the speech and Gwendoline could have chosen a different topic to show an increased variety of movement and more statement, eg: pointing, fist on hand and more facial expressions.

Here are some other evaluations:

“I really enjoyed this speech… you are so descriptive… even about pigs! I bet you have so much fun with your kids. You definitely met your objectives of using body language. Well researched, confident, not even phased when you forgot what you were saying for a short moment. I find it very difficult to recommend anything. Maybe a bit clearer that the conclusion is on its way!”

“Expressive gestures. Good eye contact. I found the subject matter and style a bit childish. Some strong expressions. Well done.”

“Great brave and bold use of story. What could have been better next time is if you were to have some more body language pauses, quiet time in between the key points that you really want to ram home (or pig home!).”

“Confident speech. She would benefit from less gesticulations as that distracted from what she was saying.”

“One of the most unusual speeches told with warmth, charm and great confidence.”

“Idiosyncratic and funny – you did what you were meant to do. Well done.”

“An interesting and different speech! Your confidence has grown so much and you are so relaxed. Perhaps when delivering the ending be more demonstrative. Good speech.”

“My favourite subject – Pigs! I love them. Yes they are territorial (I grew up with them). Lovely silly subject.

“Fabulous, inspiring and descriptive phrases. Well delivered and very clever. Lots of research too!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment